Posting Title: CIRES/PSD Research Associate (“Postdoctoral Research Scientist”) Cloud and Precipitation Process
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a Research Associate (“Postdoctoral Research Scientist”) to work at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrations’ Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) Physical Sciences Division (PSD) on studies to understand cloud and precipitation processes at high latitudes using remote sensing techniques.
Position responsibilities include development of process-level understanding and remote-sensing-based research products to further such understanding using measurements from the US Department of Energy (DOE) Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program facilities along the North Slope of Alaska (NSA). Specifically, the candidate will be expected to perform original research and develop data products in support of efforts to understand (1) the lifecycle of liquid-containing Arctic clouds, (2) Arctic cloud precipitation and snowfall properties, (3) aerosol-cloud interactions in the Arctic, and (4) long-term climatological Arctic cloud properties. Measurements to be used in these efforts will come from a variety of remote sensors, primarily including radar (vertically pointing Ka-band, scanning W- and Ka-band, radar wind profiler), but also potentially including lidar (Raman Lidar, Doppler Lidar, HSRL), microwave radiometers, interferometers (e.g. AERI), and a variety of instrumentation for observing the surface energy budget. Experience with ARM datasets and data products is highly desirable. Additionally, experience in the use of such observations to evaluate model output and develop parameterizations across a variety of model scales (LES to GCM) is also of interest. The position involves working with a diverse team of researchers at CIRES/NOAA ESRL and the NOAANational Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL).
• Recent PhD with detailed knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: atmospheric sciences, physics, radar-related engineering.
• Expertise in one or more of the following areas is desired: radar meteorology and remote-sensing techniques; Arctic clouds, weather and climate; statistical methods; and weather/climate models and their applications.
• Experience analyzing large datasets
• Experience with the development of value-added products from remote sensing datasets and with the interpretation of aircraft in-situ microphysical datasets for evaluation of such products is desirable
• Ability to conduct original research, publish in peer-reviewed journals, and give presentations of research at science conferences
• Knowledge of and experience with: analysis/graphics packages (e.g. NCL), geophysical data formats (NetCDF), programming language (IDL, Matlab, Python), and operating systems (Linux/mac OS X)
Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the required documents:
3- Proof of highest degree earned (copy of diploma or unofficial transcripts)
4- List of 3 professional references and complete contact information, of which an official written letter of recommendation will be requested by the hiring unit at the appropriate time during the search.
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at email@example.com.
The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks for all final applicants being considered for employment.
The position will be filled as a Research Associate at the University of Colorado Boulder and will be eligible for employee benefits, including 22 days of vacation (for a 100% position) per year.
Screening will begin immediately and continue until filled.
Job posting contact: Karen Dempsey
Job posting contact telephone: 303-492-1168
Job posting contact email: Jobs@cires.colorado.edu
Job Posting Number: RF02941
Quicklink for Posting: http://ift.tt/1JFl1Dt
Open Until Filled: Yes