Postdoctoral Position at JPL/Caltech in Subseasonal Prediction and â€œAtmospheric Riverâ€ Research
Improving long-term forecasting to support drought prediction/response and to improve planning for flood risk management is a high priority for a number of regions around the world. Recent scientific advancements on subseasonal to seasonal (S2S) predictions,
as well as multi-scale interactions that include tropical (e.g. MJO, ENSO) and mid-latitude variability (e.g. PNA, AO), and so-called â€œatmospheric riversâ€ (ARs) offer new opportunities for making advances on flood, drought, and water supply management in the
western U.S. The California Institute of Technologyâ€™s (Caltechâ€™s) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) invites applicants for a postdoctoral research position to carry out model evaluation, prediction and predictability studies on multi-scale interactions relevant
to atmospheric rivers impacts on S2S time scales. Key modeling assets to be used in this research includes a recent multi-model physical processes experiment (http://ift.tt/1OhS8Vb)
and a new S2S hindcast archive (s2sprediciton.net).
Applicants must have a recent Ph.D. in atmospheric science or a closely related field, must be familiar with atmospheric and/or hydrological prediction, and have a strong background in model and observation analyses. Experience with observation-based model
evaluation and prediction/predictability analysis is desired.
Postdoctoral scholar positions are contingent upon evidence of completion of the Ph.D. The positions are awarded initially for a one-year period and may be renewed in one-year increments for a maximum of two additional years.
To apply, please send a letter describing your research interests and enclose your CV and the names of three references, by mail to Duane Waliser, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 183-501, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109-8099, or by email to email@example.com.
Caltech and JPL are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers. Women, minorities, veterans, and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. This position is open to US or foreign nationals.
- RT @yourdistinctive: Today is #SquirrelAppreciationDay, dont forget about the other 364 days 🐿️ & our other #wildlife friends 🐾🦉🦅🦆🐘🐅🐬🐳🐞🦋🐝🦌… 15 hours ago
- RT @washingtonpost: Interior Department banned from Twitter after retweet of smaller-than-usual Trump inauguration crowd https://t.co/LqPEc… 22 hours ago
- RT @rschott: With @Interior accounts, including @USGS, banned from @Twitter, this would be a very bad time for a natural disaster to befall… 22 hours ago
- @Mark_SmithW @glacio_cook @bedform Ah ok - thanks! 22 hours ago
- @glacio_cook quick question for BSG ECR grant - do you know what is meant by started academic career? Is that post-doc, or lecturer pos? 1 day ago
- [ECOLOG-L] NEON Job Opening-D03-FL Field Technician I- Instrumentation (Limnology secondary emphasis)
- [Met-jobs] Job Vacancy – Postdoctoral position in Regional Earth System Modeling at UCLA
- [Caglist] Visiting Fellowship – University of Otago
- [Met-jobs] Tenure-track Faculty Position at the University of Arizona (USA)
- [ES_JOBS_NET] Faculty Position in Earth, Ocean and Environmental Sciences education
- 33,423 hits