Postdoctoral Position at JPL/Caltech in Subseasonal Prediction and â€œAtmospheric Riverâ€ Research
Improving long-term forecasting to support drought prediction/response and to improve planning for flood risk management is a high priority for a number of regions around the world. Recent scientific advancements on subseasonal to seasonal (S2S) predictions,
as well as multi-scale interactions that include tropical (e.g. MJO, ENSO) and mid-latitude variability (e.g. PNA, AO), and so-called â€œatmospheric riversâ€ (ARs) offer new opportunities for making advances on flood, drought, and water supply management in the
western U.S. The California Institute of Technologyâ€™s (Caltechâ€™s) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) invites applicants for a postdoctoral research position to carry out model evaluation, prediction and predictability studies on multi-scale interactions relevant
to atmospheric rivers impacts on S2S time scales. Key modeling assets to be used in this research includes a recent multi-model physical processes experiment (http://ift.tt/1OhS8Vb)
and a new S2S hindcast archive (s2sprediciton.net).
Applicants must have a recent Ph.D. in atmospheric science or a closely related field, must be familiar with atmospheric and/or hydrological prediction, and have a strong background in model and observation analyses. Experience with observation-based model
evaluation and prediction/predictability analysis is desired.
Postdoctoral scholar positions are contingent upon evidence of completion of the Ph.D. The positions are awarded initially for a one-year period and may be renewed in one-year increments for a maximum of two additional years.
To apply, please send a letter describing your research interests and enclose your CV and the names of three references, by mail to Duane Waliser, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 183-501, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109-8099, or by email to email@example.com.
Caltech and JPL are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers. Women, minorities, veterans, and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. This position is open to US or foreign nationals.
- #jobs ift.tt/2n2PoRm [GilbertClub] JOBS: 5-year Research Fellowships @UniofHull 1 day ago
- Right now... Where is this spring? https://t.co/Naz26fafVP 1 day ago
- Order de jour #juge #congrès #croissant https://t.co/zn2NaIYbAN 1 day ago
- RT @davepetley: The Mitchell Creek landslide, a very large, complex rockslide in Canada triggered by glacier retreat: https://t.co/LnYIs3fH… 1 day ago
- RT @tomgillpredicts: Dust Plume Mania! in this PM's MODIS img over the Chihuahuan Desert- all the dust sources from Willcox to Salt Basin t… 1 day ago
- [GilbertClub] JOBS: 5-year Research Fellowships @UniofHull
- [ES_JOBS_NET] PhD opportunity at the University of Arizona
- [Met-jobs] Postdoc Position at KU Leuven (Belgium): Soil Moisture Data Assimilation
- [GilbertClub] 2-year postdoc in watershed sediment dynamics at the University of Delaware
- [ES_JOBS_NET] Post-doctoral research scientist for Volcanology and tectonics of the seafloor / GEOMAR Kiel
- 34,667 hits
Blogs I Follow