Postdoctoral Position at JPL/Caltech in Subseasonal Prediction and â€œAtmospheric Riverâ€ Research
Improving long-term forecasting to support drought prediction/response and to improve planning for flood risk management is a high priority for a number of regions around the world. Recent scientific advancements on subseasonal to seasonal (S2S) predictions,
as well as multi-scale interactions that include tropical (e.g. MJO, ENSO) and mid-latitude variability (e.g. PNA, AO), and so-called â€œatmospheric riversâ€ (ARs) offer new opportunities for making advances on flood, drought, and water supply management in the
western U.S. The California Institute of Technologyâ€™s (Caltechâ€™s) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) invites applicants for a postdoctoral research position to carry out model evaluation, prediction and predictability studies on multi-scale interactions relevant
to atmospheric rivers impacts on S2S time scales. Key modeling assets to be used in this research includes a recent multi-model physical processes experiment (http://ift.tt/1OhS8Vb)
and a new S2S hindcast archive (s2sprediciton.net).
Applicants must have a recent Ph.D. in atmospheric science or a closely related field, must be familiar with atmospheric and/or hydrological prediction, and have a strong background in model and observation analyses. Experience with observation-based model
evaluation and prediction/predictability analysis is desired.
Postdoctoral scholar positions are contingent upon evidence of completion of the Ph.D. The positions are awarded initially for a one-year period and may be renewed in one-year increments for a maximum of two additional years.
To apply, please send a letter describing your research interests and enclose your CV and the names of three references, by mail to Duane Waliser, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 183-501, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109-8099, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Caltech and JPL are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers. Women, minorities, veterans, and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. This position is open to US or foreign nationals.
- [Met-jobs] Forecaster vacancy with excellent work-life balance
- [Met-jobs] Job Vacancy – Research Analyst at Willis Towers Watson
- [ES_JOBS_NET] Environmental Scientist/Engineer/Part-Time/On-Call/San Antonio or Houston, TX/RB, Tetra Tech, Inc
- [ES_JOBS_NET] Geoscience IT administrator (Scientist/Researcher III), ConocoPhillips School of Geology and Geophysics (CPSGG), University of Oklahoma
- [ES_JOBS_NET] Department of Geoscience – Temporary Faculty, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- 55,444 hits
- View for the next week! #France #Med #Grimaud https://t.co/2srZBxU1ruTweeted 4 days ago
- European workcation begins now! #sendhelp https://t.co/A7oEZ1bKtSTweeted 6 days ago
- RT @DustStormNews: Parajuli and Zender, AEOLIA: Projected changes in dust emissions and regional air quality due to the shrinking Salton Se…Tweeted 1 week ago
- Storms a comin' https://t.co/Uz72XS9xidTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @tomgillpredicts: Jackson et al., Remote Sens.: Using an Instrumented Drone to Probe Dust Devils on Oregon’s Alvord Desert https://t.co…Tweeted 1 week ago
Blogs I Follow