We are looking for a talented recent graduate with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in GIS and Spatial analysis. This is a 2-year position at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Earth and Environmental Science Division.
The position entails development and application of Geographical Information System, GIS, remote sensing and spatial analysis techniques in support of a range of geology, geomorphology and ecology projects. The successful candidate will also undertake periodic
field work, as well as data management activities including development of meta-data and searchable data products in support of project data portals and servers.
Minimum Job Requirements:
The successful candidate will have demonstrated:
– High level proficiency in a range of geographic information systems and visualization software packages, including those for geologic, geomorphic and ecologic change detection analyses;
– Understanding of spatial data infrastructure and organization; familiarity with ground-based and remotely sensed data collection methodologies; ability to travel and carry out physically demanding field research in semi-remote, challenging
terrain and weather conditions;
– Programming skills in Python, Matlab, IDL or other relevant software language and the ability to adopt and apply new software packages and approaches for spatial data analysis;
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
The successful candidate will also:
– Be willing and able to work within LANL and sponsor prescribed ethics, ES&H, safety and security plans;
– Have U.S. Citizenship.
– Hardworking, flexible, and a self-starter with a positive attitude;
– Able to work with minimal supervision and as a team player;
– Willing and able to balance multiple project requirements while achieving high levels of technical excellence;
– Able to integrate, interpret, and analyze multiple diverse surface and subsurface data and perform GIS data mining;
– Apply expertise in quantitative statistical and error analyses;
– Pursue the cutting edge of quantitative GIS analysis;
– Support and/or lead the publication of research.
Education: Bachelorâ€™s or Masterâ€™s degree in GIS or related field obtained within last 3 years. Currently have 3.2/4.0 GPA.
How to Apply
Please upload your application material for job IRC45674 at the LANL jobs website: http://ift.tt/1MzEQxs
Applications will be reviewed as received with the intent of choosing a successful applicant by January, 2016.
For Further information please contact Cathy Wilson.
Cathy J. Wilson, PhD
Atmosphere, Climate & Ecosystem Sciences Team Leader
Earth and Environmental Sciences Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
MS J495, Los Alamos, NM 87545
Office: (505) 667-0202
Cell: (505) 695-5576