University of Reading, Meteorology Department
Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Earth Observation (SF13584)
We are seeking to recruit a talented, statistically literate researcher to make specific contributions to two linked projects within the Earth Observation and Space research division of the Department of Meteorology. The projects are:
– EU Horizon 2020 project “Fidelity and Uncertainty in Climate data records from Earth Observations” (FIDUCEO, http://www.fiduceo.eu)
– European Space Agency Climate Change Initiative for Sea Surface Temperature (www.esa-cci-sst.org)
You will have:
– A relevant PhD and numerate qualifications
– Enthusiasm, ideas and willingness to collaborate with the international partners and local team
– Good understanding of relevant statistics and concepts of uncertainty
– Skills in handling and analysing models, geophysical and/or satellite data
– Programming experience in Python and/or FORTRAN
– Useful background knowledge of physics, remote sensing and/or climate
The specific tasks for this post include: tuning an existing model of near-surface temperature variability in the ocean against in situ data, and developing an uncertainty estimate for this model; consolidating remotely sensed estimates of stratospheric aerosol conditions following major volcanic eruptions.
Closing Date: 13/7/2016
Interview Date: 21/7/2016
Fixed Term (up to 24 months), Full Time
For more details and to formally apply, please visit http://ift.tt/1OpfcDl or contact Human Resources, University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 217, Reading RG6 6AH. Telephone +44(0)118 378 8751. Reference SF13584
The University of Reading values a diverse workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The Meteorology Department at the University of Reading holds an Athena SWAN Silver award for recognising commitment to advancing women’s careers in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine employment (STEMM) in higher education and research.