Full-time post-doctoral position in Remote Sensing and Clouds, University of Reading
Term: Full-time, fixed-term until November 2018
Location: Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, UK
Web link: Details can be found here.
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position to undertake exciting and innovative research in remote sensing and clouds. This post holder will work on world-leading, high-resolution remote sensing observations to pioneer retrieval methods for cloud and precipitation, to explore new approaches to understanding cloud-aerosol-precipitation-radiation processes, and to improve their representations in models.
The post holder will:
1) Contribute to the exciting on-going development of cloud/precipitation retrieval methods, with specific interest in exploiting the synergy between scanning cloud radar/lidar and shortwave/longwave radiation measurements, and the scientific challenges associated with Doppler information in cloud/precipitation retrieval.
2) Analyse and interpret cloud, precipitation, aerosol, and radiation observations for various Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program sites and mobile facility deployments, with a focus on the Eastern North Atlantic site and the LASIC (Layered Atlantic Smoke Interactions with Clouds) campaigns.
3) Explore new knowledge of the 3D cloud and radiation fields and its synergy with high- resolution simulations to constrain cloud/precipitation physical processes, and improve their representations in weather and climate models
You will have:
– PhD in atmospheric science, physics or mathematics (or a closely related subject), expect shortly to obtain this or equivalent research experience
– Strong analytic, communication and writing skills
– Experience using remote sensing data
– Strong motivation and good willingness to perform high quality research
– Ability to carry out independent research work
Please submit your application here. If you have any question, please contact Dr Christine Chiu (email@example.com)